Re: The ME system

> What do you all think?

Dead on.

> To me the actual mechanics of it aren't anything special, the only realy
> novel concept was the template overlays for the hit location.

Probably the most creative aspect of the game - and an element that can be
transported to another system.

While the combat system was decent, as a roleplaying environment, it did not
seem as strong.

> Character generation is very simplistic, calculate the number of points
that
> you have to spend and then spend them.

The original skill list didn't make as much sense as it could have (lack of
a demolitions skill, for example). the alternate rules have helped out
significantly, but the original system really wasn't that strong and has
been surpassed by more recent systems.

> Without GM intervention you end up
> with PHD killers.

Only really solved by the use of combat experience, which separates the read
it from the been there group.

> The rest of the system is outclassed by several other systems that I
> know of.

Stop and consider when were the base mechanics developed.  When was the
first printing?  Official support hasn't changed the game *significantly*
since then.  Most of the changes that people like (combat experience,
alternate creation rules, etc.) were from users.

Since ME was introduced, the standard or bar for "a good game" has been
raised.  Today, we expect a lot more from a game system.  Now, what might
have been novel is simply another d100 system with a points based character
creation and some neat body maps.  This is one of the problems that a
company like Hero Games faces... the game is dated by the market.  To make
it marketable today, a number of changes would be required.

-Eric