Re: AK-47 Operation Question Answered

> On the note of this topic being something that should be
> on this list, I'm doing research comparing the M-14 and
> FN-FAL, M-16, M-4, AK-47, AKM, and AK-74
> in a fully detailed history.

Not to nitpick (ok, I'm nitpicking), but wouldn't the CEMTE/G3 be
appropriate to include because of the linkage between the designers from
Nazi Germany and post-war NATO?

> It starts from the end of WWII, a study of ammunition
> used during WWII, including the 8mm Kurz (7.92x33),
> as it goes through the M1943, NATO 7.62, NATO
> 5.56, and 5.45x39.5mm, and the rifles that are used to
> fire them.

An interesting point is the .280 EM-2, which was an early version of small
and fast cartridges, but was overwhelmed by US instance on a .30 Caliber
round.  The US forced 7.62 NATO on the rest of the world... and then adopted
the 5.56 mm M16 (subtitled: ways to be popular in the world community).

> It has also lead me down a road to wanting to lay hands
> on an AR-18.

Knob Creek would be one option.  I assume you've checked the firing ranges
within a 100 miles that rent automatic weapons.  Another option would be to
try one of the full auto lists and see if someone can help you out.