Re: ?? on a weapon system

According to DOCAgren@aol.com, on Wed, 05 Jun 2002 the word on the street was...

> 1. ADATS - Listed in the book as developed by teh Swiss for export and
> adopted by US Army as a Heavy Tactical missile system with a 6k range...

This is in use by Canada and Thailand only, according to the 1997 edition of
Jane's Tank Recognition Guide. In Canadian service it consists of an eight-tube
launcher in a fairly large turret on an M113 chassis, while the Thais have a
shelter-mounted version without radar. The US Army tested the Canadian-type
turret mounted on an M2/M3 Bradley hull in the late '80s/early '90s, but it was
not adopted. The basic missile data according to JTRG are:

Range: 1 km to 10 km (aerial targets); 500 m to 8 km (ground targets)
Max Altitude: 6 km
Armor Penetration: 90 cm of steel

Aerial targets are detected by the system's radar, the target is then acquired
by an IR or TV tracker, and the missile is laser-guided toward it. Ground
targets are engaged similarly except that the radar doesn't come into it.

> 2. FOG-M - (Fiber-optic guided missile) comes in either a manpack 1 shot
> or a 6 shot model that rides a Hummer.

I think this was another development program by the US Army that never really
got anywhere. I seem to remember seeing the photograph on which the artwork in
the T2K Heavy Weapons Handbook was based, but the weapon never reached
production. I don't have much more data on it, though.

--
Gurth@xs4all.nl        -        http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/index.html
  Begint eer ge bezint.

GC3.12: GAT/! d- s:- !a>? C++@ UL+ P(+) L++ E W--(++) N o? K w(--) O
V? PS+ PE@ Y PGP- t@ 5++ X(+) R+++$ tv+(++) b++@ DI- D+ G+ e h! !r y?
Incubated into the First Church of the Sqooshy Ball, 21-05-1998