Interesting comment

While reading through some letters on a hardware tech site I came across an
interesting comment.

"A mil-spook friend of mine cheerfully sent me pictures of a multi-DSP box they
can use to, for instance, read what a laser printer inside a building is printing
by monitoring the noise it creates on the mains supply wires going into the
place. In real time."

It came up when someone queried the reading of deleted data from hard disks.
The full link is
http://www.dansdata.com/io009.htm
it's under "Can ASIO read my pr0n?"

The author used to write for the Australian Newspaper and seems to be on the
ball, he certainly comes across as sceptical on a lot of things. Has anyone
else heard of this type of thing?

Mmm. While checking how to spell Van Eck, I hoped over to
http://www.eskimo.com/~joelm/tempest.html

The "Optical Time-Domain Eavesdropping Risks of CRT Displays" is interesting,
it contains some shots of computer screens reconstructed from wall reflections
that could be observed through telescopes. Some of the other stuff on the front
page is interesting as well.

Scott