Re: Armored cars

In a message dated 2/8/01 12:47:08 AM Pacific Standard Time, kenmis@yahoo.com
writes:

> Does anyone have stats on armored cars?  Just how
>  tough are they?  Aside from what they did in the movie
>  HEAT, what are good ways to crack one?

If you are talking the good old money transfer type armored car, they are
heavy pickup truck chassis, most are Ford F350, with an armored box on top.
Acceleration is weak and handling is terrible.  When I get home I will dig
around and find the numbers.  Armor is good against 7.62 ball, questionable
against AP.

If you want to get in without ruining the contents then hitting when crew are
entering or exiting is the easiest.  A .50 will take out the engine and then
you can crack the armor with a line charge or industrial saw fitted with
carbide blade.  A few cuts at critical door locations and the door will drop
off.

If you are talking military armored cars then you are looking at a much
bigger range of capabilities and armor, but it is pretty safe to assume that
most can stop 7.62AP and many can stop 14.5mm through 25mm.  Much above that
will usually chew them up.

Rob