Prisoner transport?

I´ve a question to the british list members:
zapping through the channels last night i stumbled into
sky news, halfway in a report on child molesters or
pornography providers.
a photographer tried to take pictures through the window
of a white bus-like truck with small
"securicor"-markings above the taillights. some time
later probably the same truck (iveco-euro, somewhere
around 7,5 to 12t) was shown from the front, bearing
really big "securicor" text between frontwindow and
-grill.
iirc, securicor is a uniformed security business. is
prisoner transport (regularly) done by private
contractors in the uk?

and to get a me-use: how is prisoner transport handled
elsewhere? this might be interesting for a variety of
BE/BE missions.

in germany, transport of prisoners is handled on  a
state level. most states handle transport with
correctional officers from the states department of
justice (uniformed, 9mm automatics) and with vans or
buses in "civilian" colours (though they are easily
recognized by the small or internally blocked windows
and their official numberplates. blue lights are
optional). occasionally state or sometimes federal
police officers (and their equipment) might reinforce
these if high-security transports, armored cars or
helicopters are needed.
"my" state police has marked vans with 4-6
phone-booth-sized cells for transporting arrested
persons to i.d.-processing etc. and finally to a judge,
but usually you see these only at "polizeiliche
Großlagen", i.e. demonstrations, large soccer games and
the like.
some german states, i know from hessen and bavaria, made
transport a  police task, officers of justice just work
in courts and prisons. this transport cars wear a
standard white and/or emerald green police outfight with
fixed blue lights.

festus

Diese Mail wurde von http://www.urbia.de (we are family )
durch IMP (http://www.horde.org) versandt .