Re: FBI re-evaluation of issue weapons ->Re: Armored cars

According to Benjamin Lott, on Wed, 14 Feb 2001 the word on the street
was...

> > And increase the cost over buying one type of <insert item here> for
> > everyone.
>
> 	Actually, there would be minimal cost increases, buying 1500 Glock 17s
> would be ALMOST the same cost as buying 500 Beretta 92FSs, 500 Smith &
> Wesson SW99s, and 500 Sig P229s.

If you were only buying the weapons and ammunition, sure. Which is what
would happen if 1500 sports shooters buy one pistol each, but not when a
police department or whatever buys 1500 pistols in one go. Things like
training (both for using the weapon and for maintaining it), spares, tools,
and a lot of other logistical factors come up which all increase roughly
threefold over when that same organization would have bought a single
weapon model.

> 	And if there is a price difference who pays it? the taxpayers?  So
> every taxpayer will have to pay an additional $0.25.  Mininmal when
> compared to...well, anything!

Sure, until it turns out that every organization in whatever country you're
in has this mentality, and buys three or four different types of all their
equipment, "so there's some choice for our officers." Now I doubt having
three different types of police shoelace will increase your taxes
significantly, but having three different models of police car will.

> But certainly minimal when compared to the cost of training a new agent
> because one died due to complications with his firearm at a critical
> moment.

I doubt many taxpaying citizens feel that way when they're told, "You
_could_ be paying half the amount of tax you actually are, but the police
departments want their officers to have a good selection of choices in their
equipment..."

--
Gurth@xs4all.nl        -        http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/index.html
  afblinken

GC3.12: GAT/! d-(dpu) s:- !a>? C+@ UL P L++ E W-(++) N o? K w+(--) O V?
PS+ PE(-)(+) Y PGP- t@ 5++ X(+) R+++(-)>$ tv+ b++@ DI- D+ G+ e h! !r y?
Incubated into the First Church of the Sqooshy Ball, 21-05-1998