Re: [OT] flash n stuff

Ben -

> just going on from the comments made about Jeff's graphic & the
> webpage, i'd just like a quick straw poll on Flash.  i'm doing a few
> bits here and there in flash, including a flash splash page for
> d-wolf.net, and for www.viable.co.uk, a band site i maintain.  i was
> just wondering how many people on the list have the plugin installed,
> or whether anyone has anything major *against* the use of flash...i
> know it's one of these subjects upon which some people have very
> extreme views "No FLASH!, it's crap" for example......

Unless optimised as, say, flash 'buttons', I find flash far too slow to
load. A common falicy, IMHO, with a hell of a lot of web developers, is
catering to the nice toys that they play with, that load oh-so-quickly on
their local systems, and on remote systems using ultra-high speed net
connections; for the lower end of the spectrum, such as those of us using
'conventional' dial-up modem connections, flash, director, java et al, can
be a real PITA (Pain In The A**), as the home page won;t resolve, i.e.
rasterise (appear on ones monitor), until all these damn bells and whistles
have completed loading. In addition, they do NOT take into account those
using, say, Lynx, which is a text-only browser.

> just asking for anyones views really.....coz i'm hoping to use a lot
> more on my site, and others in the near future.....

By all means, though, use it if you want. Just for pity's sake, provide a
way for NON-flash users to bypass it!

HTH!

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Organiser, The Millennium's End Future History Continuation Project.
http://www.the-isg.co.uk/gcme/me_hist-continue.html.
Webmaster, The Impossible Scenarios Group
www.the-isg.co.uk
ICQ: 74721632
UK Amateur Radio call sign: G1LIW
(PGP public key available on request)
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this message may not
be those of the ISG. The information in this email and in any
attachments may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient, you should not retain, copy or use this email for
any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of its content to any other
person - you should also destroy this message, delete any copies
held on your systems and notify the sender immediately.