Re: Millennium's End Website starting up

Ben -

> > I don't get what you mean... anything important? :)
>
> i think he means that as it's "officially unofficial" do we have to bow
> down to you as the master of the bought domain name, and let you host
> all our sites ;-)

Unsubtle, but succinct ;)

> possibly not i think....but as the owner of this nice domain name, are
> you going to allow us to give you all our urls, and post a big list on
> your site ? or would you like to rehost the webring from there and
> maintain it ? (serious questions, not sarcasm, in case you were
> worried)

Ben's got it about right.

Call me a suspicous bugger if you like, but I've avoided more than one
pitfall along my life, by being a bloody suspicous bloke, and never taking
/anything/ at face value. To be blunt, and meaning no offence, my main
concern is in what your ultimate intent is going to be?

Jeff, to return to your earlier posting -

>> Two - You MUST reduce (i.e., optimise) that graphic - 25 kb is
>> FAR too large- took ONE POINT FIVE minutes to get to me.
>
> At the moment, that single jpg is the ONLY picture to
> download.  The actual site is being built with
> "efficiency" being the single idea in mind.  I'm using
> 16 colors with Gray, Yellow, and Red.

That's NOT the point. File size is the point. Call me a purist, but I truly
believe that if a home page, including all graphics, takes more that fifteen
seconds to load on a 28k8 connection at peak times, it's taking too long.

> First question was, "Officially Unofficial" and the
> use of this phrase.  As I've mentioned, I've been in
> contact with the proper authorities and have
> condonement of the use of the domain name and site for
> particular purposes.  I cannot use the word "official"
> but I can use the adverb as it pertains to this
> agreement.

Please state who the proper authorities are. Did you contact Charles Ryan,
who currently own the IP rights, for instance?

> Second, many of the ME fan sites have gone into
> disarray.  Many of these people have handed me their
> sites completely, much to my dismay.

Please specify whos sites, and how they came to hand them to you - it seems
a little too pat to me. Did you approach them, or did they approach you?

> I prefer to use
> the domain name as a conduit to facilitate more
> traffic to their sites and to give them "subdomains"
> to the millenniumsend.com domain.

Sounds reasonable enought, on the face of it, but please note what I state
and ask below.

> I've even offered
> space to people that have small sites and that would
> not impact deeply into overall space.  In all cases,
> the main idea was to offer the subdomain, space, and
> individual/private administrative access to their
> individual site with full ownership of their material.

Whose ownership - theirs or yours - your comment is unclear?

>  The only restriction is to avoid strong language
> (which none of these sites have used) and to avoid
> "adult" material that would void our relationship with
> the hosting authority (again, not an apparent issue).

I've no problem with that, and am glad to hear it. Pity the unscrupulous
bastard who bought the CEE domain didn't think it was an issue, but that's
old news.

Jeff, do not think I'm trying to shoot your initiative down needlesly; my
intent is to ensure a public disclosure of the relevant facts surrounding
this idea, in the hope that it is, indeed, as benign and beneficial to us
all, as you suggest.

Several of us have been working for many years on Millennium's End fan-based
material and initiatives, and, no offence, you're new, coming up with, for
want of a better analogy, the yellow brick road of assistance. And I don't
believe in miracles like that.

Therefore, I ask you, why should we trust you?

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Organiser, The Millennium's End Future History Continuation Project.
http://www.the-isg.co.uk/gcme/me_hist-continue.html.
Webmaster, The Impossible Scenarios Group
www.the-isg.co.uk
ICQ: 74721632
UK Amateur Radio call sign: G1LIW
(PGP public key available on request)
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this message may not
be those of the ISG. The information in this email and in any
attachments may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient, you should not retain, copy or use this email for
any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of its content to any other
person - you should also destroy this message, delete any copies
held on your systems and notify the sender immediately.