Re: New BE offices -> International Political Science

--- Aleister Crowley <AleisterJCrowley@rocketmail.com>
wrote:
> i do apologiuse, it certainly wasnt my intention to
> "bash", but i saw
> several comments one after the other appearing to
> *be* ethnocentric at
> some degree.... i was just in a ranting mood at the
> time ;-)

I have to say, being an American fortunate enough to
have roamed the world, that everyone is handicapped by
their base cultural upbringing.  No matter what
happens, your brain needs to cognatively analyse the
situation and store that information.  It is now being
proved that the base language that you learned when
you started to learn when you were 2 months has a
great deal to do with this process.

No matter how much any of us tries to NOT be
ethno-centric to their upbringing, you cannot live
life without this filter.  It is how the brain is
hardwired.

Knowing this and knowing how it effects cognition can
actually make you an extraordinary GM.  While I don't
profess to be one of these GMs yet, I definitely try
to gather additional insights to bring radically
different NPCs to the table.

The basic Korean language is full of verbs.  Basic
English is full of nouns.  If you go to the asian
market, you can hear asians using English and hear
what I mean.  This allows me to properly depict some
NPC Asians in my games.  After learning all of this,
you still have to shift gears in your games (swapping
out full cognative templates and personalities,
instead of just a "mask").  A touch of schitzophrenia
can be an asset ;-)