Re: Wild West

>t will probably depend on three things:
>1) How much work do you want to do?
As little as necessary :-)
But I there will be a some work, because the setting for the game is a
cross between The Wild West genre and Call, with elements from Rift.

>2) What sort of feel do you want?

I want a "Normal" setting, were not every one have a gun and Law is not
the best gunslingers in the world, with some supernatural.

>3) How realistic do you want the game to be?  (True to history or true
>to "For a few dollars more")
I want combat to be deadly. Where the lucky or the smart survive:-)

>If you're looking for KISS ("Keep It Simple Stupid"), it's probably
>easier
>to go to a different game more suited to the Wild West genre (I'd
>suggest Deadlands, which has a sort of campy feel to it).

Yes Deadlands has a good feel to it, but no way simple.  And I don't
really like system were you have to use different dice (D6, D8, D10..)

>As far as the changes that are required, you're probably going to need:
>a) Revised skill list (skills like piloting or computer science just
>aren't the same)
>b) Revised packages (things like cowboy, Union soldier, etc.)
>c) Revised equipment list (you'll need to make a choice whether to have
>the stats relative to the time period or relative to today's stats.  I
>suspect that you would have much lower WA to fit the difference in ballistics.  You
>might try using some of the Deadlands web sites and material for
>background)

Note taken.

>The core game engine should be fine, though.

>Initially, I was going to suggest playing Deadlands instead.  As I
>thought
>about it, it would be rather interesting to see how a good group that
>was
>familiar with a modern ME setting would react to a scenario like "the
>shootout at the OK corral".  Changing from H&K USP's and Colt M4's to
>Remington New Model Army's and Winchester M1873's would require a
>change in
>tactics.  It would be interesting to see how well the group did it.
>Would
>they try to "declare it a black ops" or would they revert to the
>tactics of
>the day?

Well, I just think they would improvise:-)

>Something to consider - there weren't as many shootouts in the Wild
>West as
>TV would lead you to believe.  One of the top 'killers' was a man by
>the
>name of Jim Miller, who had 31 kills (source N/A).

I know that most media version of the west is a "little" over the top.
And I don't like that many killings and shoot out - one deadlands group
I was in had in the one month(gametime) the party live killed 42 people
and wounded double that. I don't want that to happen to a game I am
running:-/

>> If so, can I get some advice about what to do with the system and
>> not do with the systems?

>Anything is possible ;-)

I know:-)

>If you do decide to come up with a conversion or background material,
>I'm
>sure that other people on the list would be interested in seeing it.

Sure I'll doe that.

..
I believe that most things should be KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

x-p