Re: [OT] flash n stuff

> Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 00:54:29 -0800 (PST)
> From: The Lord Of Darkness
> <AleisterJCrowley@rocketmail.com>
> Subject: [OT] flash n stuff
> To: millenniums-end-l@firedrake.org
>
> just going on from the comments made about Jeff's
> graphic & the
> webpage, i'd just like a quick straw poll on Flash.

Monster bandwidth, multiple computers, and a geek to
maintain it all.  Love Plug-ins of all sorts.  Takes
NOTHING to get the plug-in and takes NOTHING to view
the content.

> i'm doing a few
> bits here and there in flash, including a flash
> splash page for
> d-wolf.net, and for www.viable.co.uk, a band site i
> maintain.  i was
> just wondering how many people on the list have the
> plugin installed,
> or whether anyone has anything major *against* the
> use of flash...i
> know it's one of these subjects upon which some
> people have very
> extreme views "No FLASH!, it's crap" for
> example......

Plug-ins are great if you know how to install them,
maintain them to the latest versions, and uninstall
them and detangle them from your browser if/when
things go wrong.  I'm all for it personally.  Why
improve a product if no one is using it?  Plug-ins
seem to be a dynamic way of displaying information and
jazzing up the site.  I believe as connectivity speed
and quality improve, the defacto standard would be for
this dynamic media.

> just asking for anyones views really.....coz i'm
> hoping to use a lot
> more on my site, and others in the near future.....
>
> TIA-bob-diddley-bob
>
> AJC

If you are really concerned about plug-ins for your
site, consider splitting the site for "Lite" versions
and "Full" versions.  It is a BUNCH of work, literally
doubling the load, but a very fair compromise if you
are really worried about it.  With a hit counter, you
can see where people are going on your site and see if
the people visiting are leaning one way or another.
You would have some actual figures and see if it is
worth having the plug-ins or not.