Re: Odd-ball conversions and left field questions

> In 3 parts:
> 1) Would conventional firearms ammunition fire in a
> vacuum? (ie space)

  Yes. Incedently, the gear taken on at least some
lunar expeditions included two .45 automatics,
although I suppose it was probably more for use on
pesky commies if the re-entry capsule landed in the
black sea than for shooting aliens.
  Recoil impulse would be rather unpleasant as the is
no air pressure dampening of the acceleration in the
barrel, resulting in higher muzzle velocity. Also, the
round isn't going to be slowing down or dropping off
at all. The other comfort factor would be due to lack
of bracing or gravity. You'd probably want a low
energy, accurate round fired from an accurate platform
to reduce impulse and make the most of your range
advantage. Or a reduced charge shotgun with
lightweight sabots to really rupture pressure suits,
if you want to shoot people outside.

> 2) What would this do to the weapon? Would the lube
> used on the weapon boil away into space or what?
> Extremes of chamber temperature/pressure etc, do
> they make a difference?

  You do need special lubes. I believe that such
lubricants have been developed, although probably
initially for lubricating something else. You'd
probably also want to check to see that nothing on the
weapon or ammunition causes a pressure chamber that
would trap either air or vacuum, causing a pressure
rupture on exposure to vacuum or reintroduction to
pressure. The obvious example is that you'd want to
make sure the rounds were far from air-tight or could
stand up to rapid depressurising to 0 psi without
rupturing.

> 3) I have been informed by former GDW writers that
> caseless ammo will not detonate in a vacuum
> environment...is that right?

*clueless*
But I'd be interested to know as to why they wouldn't.
As an explosive, the compound includes oxygen and
nitrogen, making it independant of the atnosphere for
burning. In fact, I'd say that considering the
pressure problems that conventional rounds could
cause, a caseless round would be more reliable. I
guess that maybe the H&K round wouldn't work for a
specific reason, but that an advanced development
would. Maybe the problem is with the charge
detonation?

Mike