Re: [OT] flash n stuff

Von Robert J. Hansen :

<snip>

>As soon as you wind up porting the plugins to UNIX, let me know.  For a
>lot of us, it takes quite a bit to get the plugin and quite a bit to
>view the content.  Remember: the Web is a platform-neutral,
>/display-neutral/ environment.  A webpage ought to be as useful on a
>Windows 2000 machine running IE 5.5 as on a UNIX box running lynx.

That's like "I own a Ford Model T, why can't I drive on the Autobahn?".
Somewhat egocentric (sp?), if you ask me. For a lot of websites, the design
is a valid part of the content, or better, "message", you want to
"broadcast". And also, the design, of course _with_ the content, makes you
remember a website.

<snip>

>Plugins may be a "dynamic way of displaying information", but they break
>the principle of the Web--that your browser gets to decide how to
>display your information.  When the server gets to decide how things are
>displayed on the client end, that's a violation of the separation of
>content and presentation promise.

The Internet of today IMHO is not only information, it's information and
design. If you want something to look good, you have to tell the browser
how he has to display the damn file :)

>(Yes, I know most webpages nowadays violate this.  That doesn't mean
>they should.)

I don't think that's a bad thing :) , at least when it's no ugly as hell...

> > If you are really concerned about plug-ins for your
> > site, consider splitting the site for "Lite" versions
> > and "Full" versions.  It is a BUNCH of work, literally
>
>Consider just implementing the "Light" version.  Content, content,
>*content*.  Let me decide how I want things to be presented--that's what
>the browser preferences are for.  Your job as a Web page designer is to
>provide me with content and markup which my browser can use to determine
>how it should be rendered--according to *my* preferences, not the site
>owner's.

A web designer has to make the content look good, it's the job of the
author to do the content.

Arclight