Re: [ME] Re: Crippled US EP-3

> > Why didn't they crew abandon the plane and ditch
> it in
> > the sea, versus delivering sensative equipment
> into
> > the hands of the Chinese?
>
> Because the EP-3 crew has protocols that it follows
> in the event that
> capture is likely.  Electronic data can be erased;
> papers can be burned;
> hard drives thrown out the side of the plane.

IMHO, I can see a court martial or two going on when
the crew get back! There's enough new toys on there to
keep the Chinese happy for some time. From my time
working with EC-135 crews, I believe landing the plane
on Chinese soil was a bad idea. Sure, the plane might
shred on contact with water, but that's why you joined
the military, isn't it?

Mike.