Re: [ME] Re: Crippled US EP-3

> Excuse the ex-ground pounder here, but they don't
> carry chutes?

Not on EC-135s on 'normal' intel flights... as I
recall. I dunno about USN birds. It's a bit like
carrying a 'chute on an airliner.

> (I remember
> reading somewhere in an
> ordnance mag long ago that USAF, and I am presuming
> the USN, had special
> grenades developed for just such contingencies).

Thermite grenades. They cause a thermite reaction,
which is very, very exothermal and simply melts
anything in the area, or drips molten iron on it.
They're supposed to destroy gear within 1-2 metres,
although you would not use them while airbourne.

Mike