Re: Scopes, Sniping and Reloading: Was new life for...

Mike Fortey wrote:

> We're actually talking about the definition of
> 'sniping' or 'long range shooting'. Hopefully you
> aren't getting incoming fire. =P

Good point, but after the first or second shot, if you are still there, you
deserve the incoming barrage!

Mr. Fortey has brought up another good point. What about the other skills a
sniper needs? Does anybody consider things like moving undetected (Hiding:
Creeping)? If they see you mucking about on the ridge, you can bet they will
reach out and touch you with a lot of the aforementioned incoming fire. What
about concealing his presence at the shot sight (Hiding: Concealment)?
Again, you are out of luck if you are soundly cracked by a flanking fighting
patrol. How about just living out there while waiting for the call to action
(Survival: Where ever)? Even harassment missions require these skills. The
assassination mission is even more in-depth, I am sure. A sniper is more
than just a marksman, he/she is also stealthy, patient and confident, in
essence a hunter of men.

> Ya, but it's not 'sniping' IHMO. To be honest, it's
> bloody hard to miss a static target with a x4 at 300m;
> you don't even have to concentrate on breathing or too
> much in the way of drop-off.

Too true, but they never seem to stay still. =(

> Back onto the topic at
> hand; I really don't think it's worth splitting the
> aim skill in two - it's just (even) more paperwork to
> do for no real imrpovement in the game. After all,
> most ME firefights (90% in my experience) aren't
> happening at these ranges.

Again I have to agree, the skill of consulting tables to make the shot are
best dealt with under Business: Management (joking). The shot is still the
shot and the principles of firing the rifle remain the same, proper
breathing, posture, grip and eye relief are essential, and the better the
shooter, the smoother these will be, allowing for that round to hit at
greater ranges. The tables just allow you to bring the shot back into the
arena of doable. It is still the skill of the shooter with their weapon that
puts the bullet into the poor bastard at the other end.

S.