Re: Scopes, Sniping and Reloading: Was new life for...

Jim Ericson wrote:

> The original load (M193) was listed
> as having a maximum effective range of 300m. The later round (M855 for the
> US, SS109(??) for NATO) was developed by FN to help sell the Minimi - it
> need longer range, and better penetration. I believe that is what the
> British IW is chambered for.

(Patting my Jane's Small Arms Field Guide) They simply classify it as 5.56 x 45
NATO in these, but SS109/M855 sounds familiar. Also the M16A2/A3/A4 are all
capable of firing the M193 round with little trouble (to get rid of the vast
stockpiles apparently) as well as the SS109/M855 round they are optimized for.

Great segue point...

It is true, certain rounds are optimized for certain rifling characteristics
(and vise versa). Rumour has it the new G36 is able to operate using pretty much
any 5.56 x 45 round with little or no noticeable change in performance while it
is said to be optimized for the SS109/M855. Some kind of gas regulator/feed ramp
trick, I guess. Check it out at HKPRO and REMTEK. The fellow who reviewed it at
HKPRO gives it a glowing report, but I know nothing about him. The author at the
REMTEK site, a Mr. Charlie Cutshaw has Officer  U.S. M. C. Intelligence as his
pedigree. In my experience, that lot has their heads on right, so I place value
in that.

I drew most of my information from the following sites: (I would have loved to
have a chance to use the G36 series to see for myself).

www.hkpro.com/G36.htm
By: Web page author(?)

www.remtek.com/arms/hk/mil/g36/g36.htm
By: Charlie Cutshaw

S.

P.S. Thank you for the back ground, I had no idea that the newer round was
designed by F.N.!