RE: Best M1911 replica?

Take a look at some of the comments on Rec.guns on the Kimber and
Springfield.  Kimbers are a great value and add a lot of modifications to
the base gun.  The down side is that a bunch have come through with problems
and getting the factory to do the work has been difficult.  Is it a few
people complaining loundly or a significant problem, I don't know.

> Para-Ordnance has a newfangled light double-action M1911A1.

Something to consider if cost is the cost of the magazines.  Double stack
magazines are god-awful expensive, with full sized Para-Ordinance magazines
running between $100 and $150.  In contrast, Wilson single stacks (generally
regarded as some of the best 1911 magazines available) are $30 (Dillon).  GI
issue 1911 magazines are less than $10 in quantity (ebay, Shotgun News).

Personally, I try to keep four to six magazines on hand.  At the range, it's
nice to have multiple magazines.  My application is home defense and if it
gets to the point where I've already gone through 60 - some rounds, I
brought the wrong gun the to gunfight.

-Eric