RE: Bad Technothrillers (was nitrogen grenades)

> Oh, 'Tin Man' kind of annoyed me as well. the suit
> would have been almost believable if not for the 'jump
> jets' - they spoiled a lot of the book in my eyes.

Marginally feasible.  What's not quite so feasible is that the main
character would never have broken his legs while learning to use the
damn things.  If you leap thirty feet high, when you hit ground you're
going to suffer damage as per a thirty-foot fall, unless you've
developed some skill in landings.

What really annoyed me, though, was the way the Tin Man was able to
withstand a point-blank, almost-in-physical-contact explosion.  I can
accept that the armor protects from shrapnel.  What I can't accept is
that he wouldn't be affected by blast and concussion.  Even if his body
is intact and protected, he'd be thrown at high velocity into other
objects and would then undergo extremely rapid (read: fatal)
deceleration.

It doesn't matter how hard the armor is if the person inside has been
turned to goo by proximity to high explosives.