Re: A Liberal's View of the Right to Bear Arms

> Because the US had no standing army (and we really
> didn't until after WWI), we had to have a militia and
> we had to have an armed population.  When you look at
> the War of 1812, the fears of the Founding Fathers
> were almost realized.  Dare I say, "Thank God Napolean
> kept England busy."
>
> =====
> Jeff Pawlowski
> Millennium's End: Officially Unofficial
> http://www.millenniumsend.com
>
> _

What utter twaddle Jeff.
In 1812 the US gov't decided to expand their territory by grabbing up the
canadian colonies figuring the british were too busy fighting Nappy to be
able to stop this.  It was naked aggression on the part of the expansionist
US in hopes of grabbing the cookies without burning their fingers.  You
yanks are damned lucky the british didn't ship the Duke of Wellington over
with his army.

As for the 2nd amendment isn't that the one that guarantees the rights of
the states to arm the national guard?  I don't remember it saying anything
about arming the populace to the teeth.