A Liberal's View of the Right to Bear Arms

I'm a die-hard, far left liberal.  I think we need
trigger locks, gun safes, and firearms safety
training.  I actually think we need licensing of gun
owners too, which is controversy in its own right.

Do I believe guns need to be restricted?  Not at all.
I think guns are TOO restricted, as is, in the US.

The US government, or any government for that matter,
is based on the people being willing to be governed.
I find it ironic that the British, of all people, are
upset about the US gun laws.  Directly and indirectly,
the British are responsible for the US gun laws and
the 2nd Amendment.

During the "little uprising across the pond," it was
the British that tried to restrict arms getting into
the hands of the rebels.  The "Founding Fathers"
recognized the dangers of a government that could
completely dominate the population.  Weapons, in the
hands of the population means that they can rebel.  We
suffered a Civil War, but that is another story I will
be happy to write later.

Because the US had no standing army (and we really
didn't until after WWI), we had to have a militia and
we had to have an armed population.  When you look at
the War of 1812, the fears of the Founding Fathers
were almost realized.  Dare I say, "Thank God Napolean
kept England busy."