"War" Stories (was: Machineguns)

MathesonT@aol.com wrote:

My only malfunction was with a overcharged blank.  BANG.  Flash suppressor
and blank adapter sailed almost 50m and feed tray cover was sheared off,
clipping my K-pot.  Scared me almost as much as when I rolled over and saw a
line of stars and eagles with shocked looks on their face.
Oh dear, what happened next?

Sounds like we share strange experiences...

Old "war" story....

Once we were doing exercises against "Red Force" out on the Salisbury plains, the L7A2 one of my men were using had just been cleaned and we were carrying out fire and movement under the watchful eye of our Brigadier and my Major. Well... long story short, we were moving and the "Gimpy" was covering one of the teams as they moved to within grenade range. The gun was bopping away when I, behind and left of the gun hear a "phhinkch" kind of noise and the gun stops working... The gunner had failed to screw the Gas Regulator back on fully and had launched it into the bloody grass! Of course the Major noticed and I am sure the Brigadier did, but was too busy formulating jokes to bust me with at the "O"!

=|

S.