LMG86/96 (Was Machinegun Weights)

Jeff Pawlowski wrote:

> --- Shawn Mulock <salamndr@3web.net> wrote:
> > I think the reason it has such a low cyclic rate is
> > due to the
> > aforementioned ridiculously low weight of ~4.1kg.
> > The designers may have
> > determined one or more things... that the weapon has
> > better control, allows
> > for better use of ammunition in the weapon's
> > intended role and most likely
> > that the barrel will burnout/warp/explode/cause a
> > runaway(cook-off)/ruin the
> > head space etc. with such a light weapon/barrel.
> > (For those who have
> > little/no experience with MGs these concerns are
> > common to all MGs, I assure
> > you.)
> >
> > =)
> >
> > S.
> >

> Fires from a heavy barrel and open bolt (as I recall,
> not having the article in front of me at the moment).
> The weapon uses the Stoner Flash/Recoil compensator on
> the muzzle.  The reports from the articles that I've
> found say the weapon is extremely stable.  Full auto
> only.

If the weapon uses a heavy barrel, it definitely aids in the cooling (most
MGs fire from the open bolt). If they have the heat licked, then most likely
the lower rate of fire is for the better utilization of
ammunition/controlability. As you have said, the weapon is very
controllable, so....

> Ironically, the controls for the weapon were all
> designed to be VERY similar to the Browning 30.
> Another interesting thing is that it uses all of the
> M249 200-round belt/box magazines so the box attaches
> to the underside of the weapon.

Sounds like they are targeting the Minimi market.

> The weapon is going into limited production since KAC
> has had orders made from other countries, already.

Who have ordered the weapon? I understand SOCOM units are keen on versatile
weapons.

I should issue a correction. My previous message should have read that the
weapon may suffer from the noted barrel problems only with a higher rate of
fire, not in its current state. Also it should indicate they may have
selected that rate of fire for its efficient use of ammunition and/or to
give the operator better control. Sorry for any misunderstandings this may
have caused.

S.