ME System vs. Background.

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Arclight wrote:
> Quality-wise, this list is top of the crop, yes. Though I find it funny you
> only use the background, most people prefer the rules system AFAIK. IMHO,
> the background sucks ;)

Well, I shall clarify...

I don't like the system because I don't like the damage mechanic.  I don't
think it's a *bad* mechanic, it's just my personal preference.  I've got a
homebrew system of my own that is equally deadly (if not slightly moreso)
that I prefer to use for "gritty gaming".  Other than that, I have plenty
of praise for the ME mechanics.

As for the system, the revised 1990-99 timeline is OK, but a little dated
now that it's, uhhh 2001.  So, I use a lot of the general source info and
background info, such as a lot out of the Terror/Counterterror sourcebook
and the GMs Companion.  I also use Ultramodern Firearms as a "picture
book" for the less gun-savvy players.  So no, I don't run BE/BE campaigns,
but I do run technothrillers.  On top of the ME books, I also use several
GURPS supplements, such as Special Ops, High-Tech, Martial Arts, Blood
Types, and Horror.  I prefer to run my technothrillers with a lot of
horrorific/dark elements and a subtle splash of the supernatural.

Hope this helps,

Jacob.

--
Jacob E. Boucher