Re: Re: Atchisson & Able Team...

>On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Mike Baker wrote:
>> Now there were some seriously crappy books.....
>
>Tell me about it.  I remember loving them waaaay back

I paged through one or two of these in my mis-spent
youth, so many years ago.  I have to say, though, in
the genre of silly blast n' kill books the true
entertainment is to be found in the Death Merchant
books, written by a raving lunatic named Joseph
Rosenberger.  They mostly date from the 70's, and
feature plenty of ridiculous "hail of lead...straight
to hell" gunfights, but enlivened by aliens, psychotic
political theory, nazi super-science, psionic powers,
lengthy footnotes detailing truly bizarre conspiracy
theories, preposterous mowing-them-down dialogue from
the Death Merchant such as "Ring-a-ding-dong, dummies,
you're all dead" and an undying passion for the
Backpacker Automag pistol.  It's amazing that they
were ever printed, they're so bad and so strange.
Truly the Plan 9 of macho fiction.