Re: US Constitution query

> In a message dated 7/26/2001 10:51:36 AM Central Daylight Time,
> jericson@erinet.com and CamaroGen1 wrote:
>
> << In other words, it really behooves you to pay Uncle Sam his $200. >>
>
>     Cost me about $25 (i think, definatly LOTS less than 200) to register
> each of my firearms......

$200 is the tax stamp cost for Class III/NFA fully automatic weapons,
silencers, destructive devices, short barrelled weapons and other fun toys.

In this case, paying the $200 for the short barrelled shotgun (or is it
AOW?) would have saved a boatload of heartache and a lot of overtime for the
lawyers.

Is that a $25/weapon tax per year or one-time?  How much of your fee is
actual government fees and how much is profiteering by the dealer?  When I
was in IL, there was a $2.50 (IIRC) fee to the state to use the instant
check system (validate the buyer) and then the dealers tacked on their
amounts for the service.  $25 always seemed like a bit much, especially if
the buyer took care of finding the distributer, the cost, getting a
certified bank check, etc.  Profiteering and reasonable cost, however, are a
separate argument that really isn't relevent to M-E-L.

-Eric