Re: EMP weapons?!?

At 10:12 PM 8/14/01 +0200, you wrote:

>Someone just told me that allied forces used EMP rockets during desert
>storm? Tell-Tale?

Apparently that is true (although IIRC it was HERF and not EMP).  The air
force deployed a ground launched weapon that fried Iraqi radar systems.  I
don't have the specifics as I gave away the book that described all of this
in detail, but I remember it being an interesting program.  The name of the
book was "Triumph Without Victory" and it was published by U.S. News and
World Reports.

The Russians make a briefcase HERF weapon that weighs 8.0kg and is capable
of zapping electronics in a several hundred meter radius.  I saw a video of
this system being tested by the Swedish military and it was pretty
amazing.  They were making remote control aircraft fall out of the sky,
burning up laptops, and killing the engines of running cars.  I have an
article from Jane's somewhere that I can dig out if further info would be
helpful.

Ryan