Re: Afghanistani Warfare.

>Although I hesitate to use the Gulf War as any form of example, as war with
>Iraq and War with Afghanistan would be as different as WWII and Viet Nam,
>our current level of sensory tech will make
>guerilla warfare extremely difficult.

That's assuming the opponent decides to operate out of a single country.
Given that Bin Laden has already shown an ability to fight on other people's
soil - aka our own - it's global guerilla warfare, not guerilla warfare in a
contained box.

>Unfortunately, its sorely obsolete.  Police
>IIR is so good helicopters can track a suspect through a city at night with
>extreme confidence.

Until the SA-7 hits the helicopter.  Big difference between police use,
where an assault rifle is a big threat, and counter insurgency, where a M2HB
or SAM is more likely.

>Satellite imaging is extremely advanced and capable.

Yes and no.  The US still bombed the Chinese embassy, a fixed building with
a known address.

History has shown us that fighting in Afganistan is going to be time
consuming and painful.  Ignoring the past and arguing that 'we're better'
than last time is an invitation to a painful reminder of history.

-Eric