Re: Pardon My French (was Article 5)

The word 'barbarian' comes from the Greek - it means 'foreigner' or
'non-Greek', and derives from the belief that anyone who was not speaking
Greek was saying 'bar-bar-bar-'.

Today, in a misguided effort to be 'funny', people in England (that I know
of) say 'Pardon my French' when cussing.  I assume it has to do with the
fact that England was invaded by the (Norman) French in days gone by.  In
point of fact, most of the cuss-words in common use are actually based on
and derived from Anglo-Saxon words.

Pardon my unintentional insult!

Ann