Re: a really stupid question ...

>BTW, the weapon used is not an M134 but (X)M214 (I don't actually know if
>it ever got standardized or not). The difference is that the former is
>7.62x51 mm, while the latter fires 5.56x45 mm and is correspondingly
>smaller and lighter.

Not true.  It was the only Class III transferable M134 (7.62mm version)
manufactured after 1968 in the United States.  The gun in question was in
the arsenal of Stenbridge Gun Rentals at the time of "Predator" and it was
the same gun used in "T2", "Last Action Hero", and "The Matrix".  The clutch
had been modified to allow a maximum rate of fire of 2000 rpm.  The gun was
sold by Long Mountain Outfitters last year for $125,000 to a private
collector.  It included two sets of blanked barrels as well as a set of
standard barrels so it is both a prop gun and a live gun.  The new owner has
plans to either sell it or lease it to another movie prop company so expect
to see it in future films.

Ryan