Protection on flights

Since the limiting factors for having armed guards on planes comes down to
cost, required manpower and the fact that the weapons could be used by
terrorosts it would seem that the perfect answer to this would be a
biometric smart gun. By this I mean a gun that can only be fired by the
person it's registered with. The lock would have to be activated by a sensor
that worked on the person eg a palm or finger print when gripped rather than
a ring or bracelet that they wear.
Then some of the existing crew on a plane could be trained and armed.
The worry of the terrorists getting the weapons would be abrogated by the
fact that they would be of no use to them.
I know that there aren't any such weapons available now, I have seen demos
on shows of things that are damn close though, the extra bit of tech
shouldn't be that hard, particularly if it was mated to something like the
Metalstorm pistols that have an electronic firing mechanism anyway.

What do you think???

Scott Levy
"Enough marshmallows. Properly placed. Will kill you."
Dr John Alexander
Ex Head of US Army Directed Energy Research.

Miami Cell Nine: Mills End Website
http://connexus.net.au/~becubed/
mailto://becubed@connexus.net.au