Re: Erosion of Civil Liberties.

> e_r_benson@hotmail.com writes:
>

> > I think this discussion has the potential to go far outside the scope of
> > ME-L.  Roger Burton West - perhaps this one aught to be nipped in the bud
> > early?
> >

> I disagree. If you co-opt the real world into ME then the subject of
> tightened security and civil liberties is a valid one.
>
> After all it is not inconceivable that a company like BE could be duped into
> supplying expertise to groups related to terrorist organisations and its
> employees fall under suspicion.
>
> How are governments going to react to companies like BE - are they going to
> require detailed information about missions and clients in advance of any
> contract being signed?

	Yes and no. Since many GMs (based on discussion I've seen
	on this list) suggest that these same governments actually
	use BE for their own purposes, they will probably want some
	more supervision and probably be somewhat angry if BE chooses
	unsavory people for its employees and clients. However, it is
	also true that since intelligence arms of these governments
	use BE to their own ends, they get protection from too close
	scrutiny and said unsavory clients and employees get no trouble
	as long as it causes no problem in place BE office using them
	originates.

> How is character behaviour going to change if they know they will stopped and> searched going into any public building?

	Probably be personally somewhat annoyed but it does have no
	real effect on characters behavior (after first few embarrassing
	idiotic episodes). Characters will mold their clothing and
	behavior and carried effects to suit better new environment.
	For example, one carries no more metallic items and keeps
	most items that cause alarm in a belly bag that they remove,
	put to plate next to item detector and go through. They also
	learn to carry ID cards at all times in case something does
	happen and officials want to know who they are. This is a
	quick list of things but I am sure you can all think how to
	behave like rational beings.

> Will governments want companies like BE to bolster overstretched security
> forces? How many players would balk at a mission to gather data on fellow
> citizens, even if there was no real evidence that they were involved in
> anything sinister?

	Yes and no. Security is paramount in intelligence work and
	BE works on both sides of fence. Thus BE would not get
	intelligence data vital to work and its effectiveness would
	be quite neglible. That said, BE could be used to bolster
	security agencies work in details that require less data
	and that are not truly important. This work includes such
	work as surveillance or searching for someone in a city.
	This work is fairly well defined and something that could
	be given to private security companies.

	I believe that no character would give flying fuck if they
	would be asked to "gather data on their fellow citizens".
	Fact is that BE is investigative company and it does gather
	that data for a variety of clients, some of which are quite
	unsavory. Besides, they get well paid for that.

> Picture a mission to infiltrate a group of dubious characters who operate in
> small independent cells and regularly use sophisticted paper simulations to
> run through potential terrorist scenarios. These groups spend a lot of time
> gathering intelligence about military, political and security operations and
> have a well established network of communication via face to face meeting and> the internet. The government  thinks they could be a threat but is unwilling
> to crack down just yet (although these groups are known to involve themselves > in satanism and to be linked to youth suicide) and, having previously been
> embarrased in raiding a front company these enemies of the free world had set> up, they would like nice solid evidence before acting.
>
> Perhaps BE could provide that evidence? The ever helpful client will even
> provide samples of the sort of thing they'd like the cell to find.

	Surely BE could do such a work, especially when they get a
	juicy contract to do it.