Re: Hot Spots, 2001

    Other Hot Spots (of just a few; I think there's something like over 2
dozen civil wars happening right now):

    Aceh - rebellion and unrest against the Indonesian military continues;
movement for independence is growing

    Irian Jaya - as above

    East Timor - aggression from the Indonesian death squad ("militiamen")
incursions across the border from West Timor continues: shootouts between the
death squads and UN forces in East Timor (mostly Australian) occur
sporadically.  There have been some reports that KOPASSUS (Indonesian Red
Berets, roughly equivalent to Special Forces) troops have also been involved.

    West Timor - when they left East Timor over a year ago, the Indonesian
military kidnapped roughly 30%-40% of the East Timorese population (over
200,000 people) into West Timor, where they've been kept in concentration
camps controlled by the militia groups, who intimidate people from returning
(often through rather unpleasant means).  Figures differ, but it appears
roughly half have been able to return home so far.  A few months ago, the UN
relief headquarters in West Timor was forced to evacuate after militia forces
attacked it, killing several aid workers, including one American.

    Indonesia itself - the pro-democracy movement has made tremendous gains,
with elections having been held, East Timor being freed, and now some former
"militiamen" are being putting on trial for their crimes.  But the military
still holds to its doctrine of "Dual Function", where it is also involved in
politics.  Many are worried that social unrest may increase when IMF-type
structural adjustment programs are enforced, which may prompt the military to
stage a coup.

    Iraq -  The U. S. is currently in the process of working with the Iraqi
National Congress, the main umbrella group for forces opposing Saddam
Hussein. INC members will make clandestine forays into government-controlled
areas to distribute relief supplies and propaganda. INC leaders view the
operation as a precusor to an armed insurrection they hope to mount one day
with the help of U.S. weapons and air support. The 1998 Iraq Liberation Act
authorized the Pentagon to provide the INC with $97 million in arms and
military training (AP, 01-14-01).
    Also, other Iraqis may want to take revenge on the West for the harm that
sanctions have caused the general population.

Best Wishes,

Manu