Black powder

> Hey, i need some help.  Does anyone ( jeff?? and Rob
> T??), know the law for registering vintage guns??
> My grandfather left me a civil war era musket
> when he passed away, and my father, now in
> NJ, is going to send it to me.
> Need to know the legal way to do this......

What state are you in?  NJ is one of the stricter states.  Check on whether
your state requires "registration" of the weapon or the owner.  Some states
(IL, for example) require registration (possession of a valid state issued
firearms ID card).  Other states (DE), do a background check / waiting
period.

Blackpowder weapons - as evidenced by Cabella's and other mass-marketing
companies - fall into a different category for interstate commerce.  Your
musket falls under both the C&R (Curio and Relic) and blackpowder
provisions.  IIRC, neither category is as strict as for a modern firearm.

An option that was suggested by a FFL when I wanted to ship weapons from my
parents to myself, was to wait until I went home and then ship them back.
It's not a transfer if you're sending it to yourself.

I would suggest looking at the appropriate state and ATF websites for text
on the specific laws for your area.  As one person commented, a local FFL is
probably your best source of current and appropriate local information (not
police officers, who may not be experts on the specifics of transfer).  We
can comment, but our commentary stems from different states and is not
legally binding.

-Eric