Re: T-55 Stats

According to Jeff Pawlowski, on Sat, 12 Jan 2002 the word on the street was...

> http://www.soviet-empire.com/arsenal/army/tanks/t55.php
>
> This is not any bulldozer.  100mm gun.
>
> Crew of 4.
>
> Pics at the URL

How shall I put this...? Check your Vehicle Sourcebook, page 109 (though the
pic sucks) -- I _know_ what a T-55 looks like; in fact I could tell you the
differences between a T-54 and a T-55, which is better than most books on the
subject manage.[1] I'm not trying to look superior or anything, but I always
see the need to respond when someone questions my knowledge about a subject I
do know a lot about :)

What I'm saying is that the Polish army may not be selling gun tanks; the URL
you quote doesn't seem to have anything to do with the posted article
(judging by the URL itself; I didn't check it) so it wouldn't help us
determine if the Poles aren't selling IMRs or something. (That's the Russian
AEV on a T-55 chassis; has a bulldozer blade and a crane, much like the
German Bergepanzer 2A1.) The vehicle I saw bulldozing snow on TV certainly
wasn't a gun tank, but then again, that doesn't say much either :)

[1] In case anyone is wondering, the differences are the shape of the welds
between the upper and lower glacis, and whether there's a step at the top of
the rear hull plate or not. Any other differences are due to the manufacturing
date of the tank in question and/or the periodical rebuilds to which Soviet
Army tanks were subjected to bring them up to the standard of the latest
models.

--
Gurth@xs4all.nl        -        http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/index.html
  At the Olympics during the Bronze Age, all winners came third.

GC3.12: GAT/! d-(dpu) s:- !a>? C+@ UL P L++ E W-(++) N o? K w+(--) O V?
PS+ PE(-)(+) Y PGP- t@ 5++ X(+) R+++(-)>$ tv+ b++@ DI- D+ G+ e h! !r y?
Incubated into the First Church of the Sqooshy Ball, 21-05-1998