Re: Rail guns (was: US SOCOM desires...)

>Assuming you've got a 75-kg soldier, your soldier is going to be
>traveling backwards at about 28 meters per second.  Or about 60mph.
>He's going to hit something, which will slow him down, and that'll be a
>real pain in his ass, let me tell you.
>
>Remember that recoil increases to the square of the velocity.  You want
>a round that travels ten times faster than modern rounds?  Fine--take a
>hundred times the recoil, please, and say hi to Sir Isaac when the
>recoil catapults you all the way into heaven.  :)

Its a given that action and reaction happen but i think you have your
numbers gummed up somehow.  the soldier weighs 15000 x what the slug
weighs.  if the slug exits at 3500 m/s in a forward direction (assuming
no recoil compensation at all) the soldier will move backward at a tad
under one quarter m/s.  Seems to me kicks like a mule rather than a
movie like wall tossing would be what happened.