From: Erik Sandelin [mailto:esand@empire.net]
Sent: 31 January 2002 00:29
To: millenniums-end-l@firedrake.org
Subject: Re: Rail guns (was: US SOCOM desires...)

A quick side question semi-related to this thread...

A while back the benefits and negatives of the three-round burst / semi-auto
only options offered on some assault rifles and carbines (the M-16A2 and the
M-4 come to mind immediately) were debated. Now, I am not and never have
been in the military. I've never even played paintball. My military
"background" comes purely from reading a lot of books on the subjects of
firearms and SpecOps and watching specials on the Discovery and History
channels, so please forgive me if my question seems a little silly...

How can having only semi-auto and three-round burst available on your weapon
be a good thing? It would seem to me that when a soldier needs full-auto
fire, he (she) REALLY NEEDS full-auto fire! Examples of really needing
full-auto I would imagine would be situations such as countering an ambush
or laying down suppressive fire at a numerically superior force. Wouldn't it
make more sense the give the soldier in question a weapon that is capable of
semi-auto and full-auto fire, and then train the soldier to shoot
three-round bursts unless "rock-n-roll" is absolutely neccesary?

Thank you,
Erik

P.S. - for those of you on this mailgroup who do have military experience,
particularly those of you who have SpecOp experience, you have my most
profound respect.