Re: European Military Not Up To Par?

At 09:24 5/02/02 -0600, you wrote:

> >   "How many times have I had a young American tell me how
> > he could just 'Nuke' New Zealand... well, might be a good option, cause if
> > I was him I wouldn't want to fight against a militia here, in Fiordland
> > ;-)  I am glad that the Americans I know aren't that stupid.  Personally,
> > I'd rather make friends or keep the ones I had than create enemies that
> > could have been really good allies."
> >

> > Ok, I have to ask this question, just how MANY times have you had that
> > happen?
> > I honestly cannot _imagine_ anyone saying they could just nuke NZ.
> >
> > Statically speaking, while I don't have the numbers to back me up, just my
> > own informal observations, at least 40% of us over  here couldn't pinpoint
> > NZ on a map, let alone figure out how to target it ;)
> >
> > Just amazed that anyone could be upset with y'all. ;)
> >
> >                            Regards,
> >                            Ted V. Huckaby

Well mate, your points are some that I feed right back at them :)  And
anyway, how could yah come here for a holiday if the place was
nuked?  :).  And yeah my comments were a simple method to point out the
stupidity of such remarks.  You know we have heaps of sheep though
right?  ;-)  And yeap, there would be a problem with the targetting :)  But
then, someone has us in their scopes, cause we got a few vital pacific spy
bases here... hehe.  Yeah apprently that 40% is pretty close to the
mark.  But anyway, just to set the record straight, don't care where you
think it is so long as you know it IS NOT part of Aussie, well, least not
yet anyhow.  Some people in the Northern Hemisphere have quoted as saying
it was in Sweden.

>Apparently, the New Zealand PM has made some comments that have been
>interpreted as anti-American by some.  I have not heard these comments, so I
>cannot verify the intent.  Leon, perhaps you can clarify this.

Anti American... ummm well a few years ago, the previous labour government,
with the backing of many anti- military, PC outfits banded US warships from
our ports.  The neither confirm nor deny policy.  But as for most recently
can't pinpoint any particular comments Ted.  Funnily enough such anti US
sentiment doesn't work so well, since WW2 we are the sole country to have
allied ourselves with every conflict the US has been involved with.  The NZ
government offered the NZSAS group before it was asked for and very gladly
taken up by the US.

LTH