Re: ?? German Airmobile

At 13:46 10.02.2002 -0500, DOCAgren@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 2/10/02 7:18:16 AM, Gurth@xs4all.nl writes:
>
><<
>I think airmobile operations fall under the Fallschirmjaeger (Paratroopers)
>in
>the German armed forces, but I'm not entirely sure. >>
>
>I knew this was their Paratroopers, but thought they might have a group name
>for helicoptermobile infantry forces.  But I can see taht this might be who
>woul dbe used for same ops.

Only Fallschirmjaeger get air cavalry training as a part of their basic
training. The only other unit that also get this training are the Light
Airdefense forces, called "Leichte Fla". Those are armed with Stinger SAM
(german designation is "Fliegerfaust Eins"). I don't know if Jaeger and
other infantry units also get to train with helicopters, but as soldiers
from a Anti-tank unit (Panzerjaeger) rescued some civilians out of Albania
some time ago, there's a good chance...

>What about German, version of the Rangers?

Well - those would be Jaeger I guess. They don't enjoy the same kind of
respect though. Simple Light Infantry.

--
Arclight @datahaven.de
I won't turn into a snake. It never helps.