Re: New Zealand gun laws

Gareth Livergood, Wrote:
>     I read an article about gun regulations and it put New Zealand in the
>group with Israel and Switzerland as countries with more liberal (less
>restrictive) gun regulation.  Since there is a New Zealander on the list,
>as
>well as individuals from many other countries,  I thought I would double
>check the validity of the articles statement.  The questions are; what
>classes/types of weapons are banned, how restrictive is registration, are?
>there carry permits?
>     This information could prove useful to a GM wanting to run a mission
>in
>New Zealand and realistically reflect the difficulties of operation in
>country, with respect to firearms.

You can buy almost anyweapon you want, however you must go thought the
Licence test, A, If I remember correctly is for basic bolt action weapons,
and breech loading shotguns, B I can't remember exactly what this licence
intails, but you can carry more dirvest weapons, except for pistols, and
Military style weapons(ie automactic), C, this licence is the collectors
licence, the one I have, it allows you to have Pistols only if you belong to
a pistol club, automactic weapons you have to have them check by the police,
and then if they past, then you get to keep them for display purposes only.

As for permits, you must regester all firearms with the police, however
there are so many firearms in this country that half of them arn't
regsetered with the police, and most of the time the police only ask for a
hunting permit anyway.

The police are starting to pick up searchs of house now that firearm related
crimes are on the incline.............

here a couple of sites:
www.nzhunt.com/laws.html
www.claytarget.org.nz/laws

Well the sites don't tell you to much, but I hope they help
Cheeres Matt the mad arse Kiwi