AK-47 Operation Question

Without a working model in front of me to verify my hunches, I've opted to bug
you guys about it :)

True or False:  The charging handle can only be pulled back if the weapon is in
Auto (middle position) or Semi (lower position).  You cannot pull back the
charging handle if the weapon is in Safe (upper, unmarked position).

True or False:  The selector positions are identical for the AK-74.  Upper =
Safe, Middle = Auto, Lower = Semi.

Thanks

"I don't want to watch a movie about a guy that has trouble saying 'I love you' unless he's been shot in the face."  -- Ray, Everybody Loves Raymond.