OT posts, an answer, and my sarcasm button (you asked...!)

Manu wrote...

>         Is this a gun discussion list?  What does this thread have to do
> with gaming or running ME?  I thought OT posts were verboten - it's seems
> like that's true only for certain people.        - Manu

[sarcasm mode engaged]

OK, you want on-topic? Here y'go, then...

An example of selecting the right weapon for the job...

A Player Character fires a long series of bursts from an RPK in suppression
fire, while his team mates get around back of the target bad guys, in order
to bag one for later questioning.

On his fourth magazine in a row, the RPK suffers cook-off, when actually,
the PC wanted to stop. This results in uncontrolled fully automatic fire
(number of rounds expended decided by a random roll of the dice).

In addition, and considering (a) the quality of barrels on such a cruddy
weapon (it's ex-soviet, and has had something in excess of 100,000 rounds
through it in it's time), and (b) the amount and quality of the lands and
grooves in the barrel (it's been worn practically smoothbore by now, and the
cook-off ain't helping any), the accuracy of this particular RPK is, shall
we say, shite... it'd probably MISS the barn door in question, at point
blank range...

IN any event, due to the cook-off, another 30 rounds are sent downrange, and
the suppression target (a car) is then hit - rather than missed - in the
fuel tank; the fuel is sprayed all over the place, and a ricochet from a
subsequent round in the cook-off causes a spark, resulting in a flashover
and a massive explosion. Instead of keeping the target bad guys heads down,
the targets are now extra-crispy, and spread over several hundred metres (in
bits); any chance of taking to them, to get the info the PCs wanted, is now
shot to shit. Time to get the hell out of dodge.

If, however, he'd wanted to stop there and then, a PK, PKM, or even an RPD,
would have done the job, without the cook off, since they all operate from
an open-bolt method of operation, as they're all belt-fed MGs, rather than
magazine-fed MGs (said he, having checked his books on FSU infantry support
weapons this time!).

This actually happened in another game system I played a while back
(Twilight:2000, Merc:2000 variant), so it's not OT, really.

In any event, this example shows how attention to detail, and a little
knowledge of firearms, can aid the referee in a game of Millennium's End,
and therefore also shows you that not much is off-topic on this mailing
list!

Happy now?

[sarcasm mode disengaged].

Sorry, but you DID push my button!

Seriously, there's not all that much which is really OT on this list; if
you're at all worried about it, I'm sure that the list owner (Roger
Burton-West) will be happy to sort things out for you!

By the way, your insinuation that it's OK for some, and not others, is quite
wrong and, I suspect, a little insulting to some people here (I've a fairly
thick skin, most times, so no bother here). Check out the list archive if
you don't believe me. EVERYONE gets a good crack at the whip here - even
YOU.

Fair enough?

Have fun, and good gaming to you!

;)

Best regards,

Roger Stenning,
Organiser,
the Impossible Scenarios Group
www.the-isg.co.uk
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this message may not
be those of the ISG.
The information in this email and in any attachments may be confidential
and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not
retain, copy or use this email for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part
of its content to any other person - you should also destroy this message,
delete any copies held on your systems and notify the sender immediately.
---