Re: Researching for MillenniumsEnd.com Essay

Jeff Pawlowski wrote:

>I'm working on an essay for the group to define the terms that are used to
>describe firearms characteristics.
>
>I'm working on one particular definition and cannot find anything substantial.
>What does "Alloy-Forged" really mean?  It is used by Colt to describe their
>AR-15.
>
>The other types of construction/manufacturing for weapons seems to be
>milled/machined and stamped, which I have a very good grasp on already.  Am I
>missing any other forms of manufacture?
>
>What I gathered from "Alloy-Forged" is that a super heated chunk of metal is
>pressed into a form/cast by hydraulic machinery, to form the shape, usually
>taking several slamming of the metal into the cast to make the final shape.  Is
>this correct?

stamping is done cold on lighter gauge metals which are malleable enough
to allow the distortions imposed by the stamping process.
alloy forging well i don't know what the alloy part refers to since
pretty much everything is an alloy but forging implies heavier metal
gauge and that the base metal is heated prior to stamping.  aside from
that the process is pretty much the same.  It could be the mechanical
properties of the base metal change when it is heated and then cooled
again but i couldn't say anything for sure without some idea about the
steels used.