Re: Ballistics

> i believe it was a morale thing more than any expectation of actual
> damage.  they guys had bolt action rifles so the number of rounds in the
> air would have been tiny by modern standards.

You'd be surprised.  It's not hard to hit a slow-moving low-flying object.
I've seen riflemen shoot skeet with a bolt-action before.  If they can hit
a 3-inch target traveling anywhere between 45 and 60mph, the first time,
every time, I don't think they'd have much trouble hitting a 240-inch
target traveling at 120mph.

As an example, look at the AH-64A Apache.  The body is armored to protect
from up to 23mm cannon fire, but the cockpit canopy is made of safety
glass.  (At least they were; maybe they've changed this dumb$h!t design
since I last heard.)  As a result, the Apache is very vulnerable when it's
doing NOE flight; an infantry unit on a hilltop is plenty capable of
putting rounds into the cockpit.

--
Geek Code: GAT d- s+:+ a27 C++(+++)$ ULB++>++++ P++ L+++>++++ E W+ N+ w
           PS+ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t+ 5++ X-- R tv b+++ DI++ D--- G+ e++ h*