Re: Ballistics

Robert J. Hansen wrote:

>As an example, look at the AH-64A Apache.  The body is armored to protect
>from up to 23mm cannon fire, but the cockpit canopy is made of safety
>glass.  (At least they were; maybe they've changed this dumb$h!t design
>since I last heard.)  As a result, the Apache is very vulnerable when it's
>doing NOE flight; an infantry unit on a hilltop is plenty capable of
>putting rounds into the cockpit.

funny you should mention that.  a friend of mine was with the canadians
who went to the gulf to babysit the airfield we used.  before they
shipped out they got a month in california to practice desert warfare.
 one of the exercises was setting up an OP while various other units
hunted for them.  the team my friend was with found a literally perfect
spot.  crack in the rock at the top of a ridge with a great view.  so
they put a cammo net over it and settled in for the day.  a few hours
later they heard a helo but couldn't see it.  suddenly a 64 flies
literally right over them as it hops over the ridge line.  it stops and
hovers about 50 feet in front of them while it looks around the valley
(seems dim but it's what it did).  darryl and his team had a short
discussion and said what the heck.  peeled back the netting and let fly
with their 16's.  to their delight the light on the chopper came on and
it "expired".  I was amazed the miles gear on the chopper would accept
the small arms fire as being lethal.  mind you the one guy had a gl on
his weapon so perhaps thats what did the trick.