Re: FBI re-evaluation of issue weapons ->Re: Armored cars

Gurth wrote:

> According to Benjamin Lott, on Wed, 14 Feb 2001 the word on the street
> was...
>
> > > And increase the cost over buying one type of <insert item here> for
> > > everyone.
> >
> >       Actually, there would be minimal cost increases, buying 1500 Glock 17s
> > would be ALMOST the same cost as buying 500 Beretta 92FSs, 500 Smith &
> > Wesson SW99s, and 500 Sig P229s.
>
> If you were only buying the weapons and ammunition, sure. Which is what
> would happen if 1500 sports shooters buy one pistol each, but not when a
> police department or whatever buys 1500 pistols in one go. Things like
> training (both for using the weapon and for maintaining it), spares, tools,
> and a lot of other logistical factors come up which all increase roughly
> threefold over when that same organization would have bought a single
> weapon model.
>
> >       And if there is a price difference who pays it? the taxpayers?  So
> > every taxpayer will have to pay an additional $0.25.  Mininmal when
> > compared to...well, anything!
>
> Sure, until it turns out that every organization in whatever country you're
> in has this mentality, and buys three or four different types of all their
> equipment, "so there's some choice for our officers." Now I doubt having
> three different types of police shoelace will increase your taxes
> significantly, but having three different models of police car will.
>
> > But certainly minimal when compared to the cost of training a new agent
> > because one died due to complications with his firearm at a critical
> > moment.
>
> I doubt many taxpaying citizens feel that way when they're told, "You
> _could_ be paying half the amount of tax you actually are, but the police
> departments want their officers to have a good selection of choices in their
> equipment..."

	i had to quote the entire thing, because not much of it made sense to
me.  I am SURE that when the FBI buys any amount of firearm, they do not
pay the same as any civilian sportshooter.  I know MY gunshop would give
me a discount if I bought 1500 of anything.  Also, I really doubt that
the type of shoelaces will have any effect in the heat of a gunfight
with criminals.  And the type of cruiser <BTW, my local police actually
DO operate 2 different types of cruisers, and CHP (California Highway
Patrol) currently operates one cruiser, two intercepters, and one 4wd
cruiser> is doubtful to have as much impact as an uncomfortable grip,
confusing decocking levers, and difficult safties.  See my other post as
to my views on higher taxes.