RE3: New Blackeagle/Blackeagle Theatre Office?

--- Eric Benson <ebenson@uiuc.edu> wrote:
> Going along with that, I would say any new offices
> should be located based
> on client availability, not geographic location.
> Places like Southeast Asia
> could easily support an office and be profitable.

In the world of Millennium's End, would there not be
great demand and great amounts of money out there to
support officies?  We have to make a clear distinction
between our reality and the ME timeline.

> A comment is that not all of the offices need to be
> full fledged offices.
> In some areas, the office might be more of an
> administrative and marketing
> office.

In many offices, according to canon resources (can't
quote since I'm at work and don't have my books),
there is not a full-fledged L&P, forensics, etc.  What
I believe you are calling a "full-fledged" office
would be the Theatre HQs.

> For example, in Southeast Asia, there could be one
> or two person marketing
> offices in Bangkok, Singapore, Jakarta, Beijing and
> Hong Kong.  The main
> office would be located in wherever the government
> offered the least
> interference.

With the amounts of money involved, the issue would
not be with the client getting to a BE/BE office.  The
issue with offices has always been (my feeling from
the canon source material) about supporting the
operatives in the field.

> I agree with the comments that someone else made -
> the just because they
> could grow doesn't mean they should, or that the
> offices need to be
> explicitly specified.  Give the GM's room to work
> with.  Supportive, not
> restrictive.

The point of adding offices is not about restricting
anything.  It is about going along the same lines of
MEFHCP in a very restricted scope.  In any and all
cases, the GM always reserves the right to alter or
ignore any material, canon or fan-supported.

> The
> US press vilifies
> legitimate home defense, I can only imagine that a
> case involving flash
> bangs, the best of Heckler and Koch and case lots of
> 9 mm would only fuel
> the flame.

Again, are we talking about our reality or the ME
timeline?  If we are talking about our reality, then
you are partially correct.  I would put forth,
however, (IMHO) that if Terrorism started up in the US
and pictures of dead civilians were lying in the
streets, that the public would cheer on the guys with
the black tactical gear with big white S W A T
letters.  Attitudes change quite fast when it happens
in your backyard.

Considering the high standards you are supposed to
play to as a BE/BE operative, I believe that the issue
of cells competing against one another for contracts
would be a mute point.  1. If you do add offices, you
would have more problems filling new cells versus
having too many qualified people.  2. It would likely
spread cells out.  Miami's office has many cells that
are already doing Central and South American ops.  It
would not be an issue of hiring more people, but
putting these cells closer to the action and having an
office closer and more ready to support the Operatives
in the field.

In the case where the economy would take a downturn
and BE/BE would NOT expand, it would be status quo and
replacing retirees instead of trying to outfit new
cells.  In the worst case scenario where BE/BE would
have to shrink, you simply pull back any new hiring at
all and weed out "less desirables."  In any case,
Clifton and Sheppard have exhibited amazing insight to
the business. ;-)

The question comes down to whether, as a fan base, we
want BE/BE to grow or shrink?  Maybe something else
happens, like Sheppard being assassinated.  Maybe
BE/BE can't grow fast enough and has stiff competition
from a rival Securities/Investigations Corp.

The best part about fiction is that anything can
happen ;-)