Re: [OT] flash n stuff - style over substance ?

> That's like "I own a Ford Model T, why can't I drive on the
> Autobahn?".
> Somewhat egocentric (sp?), if you ask me. For a lot of websites, the
> design
> is a valid part of the content, or better, "message", you want to
> "broadcast". And also, the design, of course _with_ the content,
> makes you
> remember a website.

damn straight, it does appear that there are a growing number of "fuck
you" sites which expect you to have the flash player, and be happy with
frames.....it's now a "design statement" rather like your offices, and
your PR material.

> The Internet of today IMHO is not only information, it's information
> and
> design. If you want something to look good, you have to tell the
> browser
> how he has to display the damn file :)
>
> A web designer has to make the content look good, it's the job of the
>
> author to do the content.

i didn't expect to get this amount of response, but there you
go...quite right, it's a 2 way thing.  the whole reason i mentioned
this at all is that in the magazines i read (computer arts, Digit)
there are bigger and bigger moves towards full blown, graphics heavy
sites (optimisation is a big industry these days i think) and i would
say, imho, that flash is almost a key part of these moves.  when it
comes down to it, on www.viable.co.uk the band site i maintain, on the
contents page, there's a little flash anim in the top corner, which
replaced a slideshow (hardly seems worth using flash i guess) but if it
had been an animated gif, it would have taken up 300-450k, in flash
it's about 60k instead.

oh yeah, another thing about flash is that a hell of a lot of the web
design jobs these days expect experience in it. and i need the money
;-)

AJC