Re: Re : New Life for Millennium's End

Ryan Pendergast wrote:

> Reading all of these discussions about what the ME rules should become is
> somewhat troubling to me.  The majority of the ideas seem intended to make
> the game into a very playable killfest that would be identical to T2K,
> Gurps, or whatever.  The allure (to me, at least) is the realism afforded by
> the system.  To try and get rid of the templates and the damage table would
> be to make it into another generic game that would get lost among the
> offerings already out there.
>
> The other trend about this discussion that seems incongruous to me is that
> everyone wants to make the game simpler but everyone wants to add five or
> ten new rules to cover pedantic little details that would rarely come up in
> play.  IMHO our energies could be more productively utilized in trying to
> "tweak" what is already out there.  Thoughts?  Flames?
>
> Ryan

Yes, Ryan, you are right. If we go mucking about with it too much, we will no
longer have the system we all fell in love with in the first place.

Some things I think...
1) Keep the overlay system, it works wonderfully.
2) Keep the percentage dice rules system, it works rather well.
3) Produce a more comprehensive list of modifiers for the use of skills in
various situations, it would seem that was the major shortfall for those posting
here. But include some pretty steep modifiers for those situations where armed
conflict or undue stress is in evidence. (character is under fire... under solid
cover: -0, under soft cover: -25, directly exposed: -50 ... this is an
oversimplified example, but I feel it is worth looking into.
4) Add a "Combat Experience" skill to overcome the penalties that occur in these
situations, but one that simply negates any penalties, not capable of adding
bonuses beyond the skill of the character, this keeps the munchkins at bay.

I am sure there is more, but it has not jumped out at me. I feel if we work
along this vein, we can keep the system with a little tweaking. Not a major
overhaul (no lugnut jokes, please).

S.